The next couple of Sundays, we will be taking a special offering to help with the cleanup following the hurricanes of the past month. We started out collecting for aiding the victims of Harvey, now I am certain that our collection will be helping those being hit by Irma as well. Our offering will be used to purchase materials for Emergency Clean-up Buckets, which Brethren Disaster Ministries assembles and distributes in cooperation with Church World Service.. Our own Karen Meyerhoeffer is the District Kit Coordinator an will purchase materials using our offering. We will then coordinate for assembling the buckets and praying over them before they go off the help those in need.
To make a donation toward this project, you can use the special offering envelope that will be provided on Sunday morning, or bring your offering into the Church Office during the week. Checks can be written to Pleasant Valley Church of the Brethren with the memo: Disaster Buckets. Please be in prayer for those affected by these storms as well. The water is still draining in Houston and it sounds like Irma could possibly be worse.
Here is what the Emergency Clean-up Buckets include:
- One five-gallon bucket with resealable lid
- Four scouring pads
- Seven sponges, including one large
- One scrub brush
- Eighteen reusable cleaning towels (e.g. Easy Wipes)
- One 50 oz. or two 25 oz. bottle(s) of liquid laundry detergent
- One 16-28 oz. bottle of liquid disinfectant dish soap
- One 12-16 oz. bottle of household cleaner that can be mixed with water (no spray bottles)
- One package of 48-50 clothespins
- Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
- Five dust masks
- Two pairs non-surgical, non-latex gloves
- One pair work gloves, cotton with leather palm or all leather
- 24-28 heavy duty or contractor type 30-45 gallon trash bags on a roll and removed from carton
- One 6-9 oz. bottle of non-aerosol insect repellent
Emergency Clean-up Buckets are valued at $75/bucket.